Bill: HB 1570 — 2017
Concerning access to homeless housing and assistance (Marci, Robinson, McBride)
Establishes the Washington housing opportunities act. Improves resources available to aid with increasing access and removing barriers to housing for individuals and families in the state.
SUBSTITUTE BILL COMPARED TO ORIGINAL BILL: The substitute bill:
• eliminates the $50 increase in the local homeless housing and assistance surcharge, making the permanent surcharge $40;
• allows counties and/or cities to charge and retain an additional surcharge, up to $50; requires the Office of Financial Management to secure an independent expenditure review of state local homeless assistance and housing surcharge funds received and deposited into the Fund on a biennial basis;
• eliminates the county annual report deadline;
• makes changes to the socioeconomic factors that the Washington State Institute for Public Policy must consider when completing the statewide homeless study;
• adds Native Americans as a group disproportionately impacted by homelessness; and
• eliminates the definition and references to "landlord liaison program" and "landlord education.
Hearing Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017 -- 1:30 pm
WA State Legislature Link:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1570&Year=2017 (opens a new browser tab)
|Capital Planning & Develop||Passed out of house of origin||2017-02-23|