Bill: HB 1595 — 2017
Concerning costs associated with responding to public records requests (Nealey, McBride, Senn)
Revises the public records act with regard to:
(1) Requiring statements of actual costs for photocopies and electronically produced copies to be adopted by the agency only after public notice and a hearing;
(2) Allowing the denial of a bot request;
(3) Requiring that a request be for identifiable records; and
(4) Expanding information on agency charges.
EFFECT OF STRIKER AMENDMENT:
(1) Clarifies that a request for all records on a particular topic is not a request for all records of an agency.
(2) Requires agencies to use the most reasonable cost- efficient method for determining the actual costs for copying records.
(3) Provides that creating alternative electronic versions of records does not amount to creating a new public record.
(4) Removes the default cost for copying audio or video recordings.
(5) Changes the default rate for electronic attachment charges from $.40 per 25 attachments to $.05 per four attachments.
(6) Changes the alternative flat fee rate from $5 to $2 per request and clarifies that the same charge may not be applied to subsequent installments of a request.
(7) Changes the provisions of the customized service charge to apply where the agency uses information technology services not otherwise used by the agency for other purposes.
(8) Permits a requestor to seek judicial review of the reasonableness of an agency's estimate for copying charges.
Hearing Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 -- 8:00 am
WA State Legislature Link:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1595&Year=2017 (opens a new browser tab)
|Operations||Passed out of house of origin||2017-03-15|